One of the reasons why Nairobi is such a special city is that it has National Park only 15 minutes away by car from the center of Nairobi. It is basically like having a Safari in the city, because it is possible to see there all the animals of the big five – lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos and buffalos, and, of course, others as well – zebras, giraffes, baboons, hyenas and much more.
Since most of the animals are sleeping during the day because of the heat, make sure you are at the park early in the morning. It is open from 6:30 am. I was quite lucky and managed to see almost all of the big 5, and a lion trying to hunt pumba. And that’s exactly how you are supposed to eat meat!
Cozy thing about this park is that it has several camping and picnic areas with washrooms and nature all around.
- hire a driver with a car for this tour
- be at the entrance at the opening time 6:30 in order to see as many animals as possible
- bring good camera in order to get some good photos as some of the animals are in a distance. And make sure it is fully charged. You will take a lot of photos and videos!
- bring selfie stick. It is not suggested to exit the car wherever and whenever you want, so that might be useful.
- 43$ for non-residents and 22$ for non-resident students, so bring your student card if you are a student
- take good rest the day before, it is going to be a quite long day during this trip
- bring water and snacks, you might get hungry
- and sunscreen and hat, because it is Kenya and it is hot in here!